The Free School

The Rotherhithe Free School, founded by Peter Hills and Robert Bell in 1613 to educate the sons of seafarers in the days of the Pilgrims. Still displaying a pair of weathered figures of schoolchildren, the attractive schoolhouse of 1797 was vacated in 1939 yet the school may still be found close by in Salter Road.  The Mayflower pub, the church and the schoolhouse define the centre of the former village of Rotherhithe.

 

 


 

Please reload

© Heritage and Arts 2018. All rights reserved